Visiting The Past
August 30, 1884: The Baptist Church of Christ of Smyrna, Georgia (First Baptist) as it was known at
the beginning, organized on August 30, 1884. "After a preaching service on that day, the Rev. J. A.
McMurray and Elder J. H. Harris, formed a presbytery to examine the letters of four proposed
members: Mr. and Mrs. T. E. Legg and Benson A. Bell and his wife Fanny." The initial meeting was
held in the Presbyterian Church. And it wasn't until 1886 that the church had its own building.